I'm a mom... but I can still be spontaneous!

After enduring a few years of, in many ways (except financial, phew!) a life of single motherhood, as Bill traveled back and forth from his Puerto Rican baby (the hotel he was building) - we decided to pick up our family and move there for the duration of the project. The decision came on Saturday - and we were to leave a week later. This blog tracked our experiences as we left our home in CT, withdrew our kids from school, left our puppy in the care of a trusted dog-lover, left the snow and the rat race and the routine... for a beautiful, rather remote island. I hoped to allow my friends & family to track our progress (or lack thereof?) as we lugged our stuff to one of the few remaining places that does not have a Starbucks, the kids and I embarked on our first ever homeschooling experience (I'd always thought homeschoolers were aliens), and I happily moved my triathlon training from the pool, trainer & dreadmill to what basically amounts to paradise. Most of all, I hoped my blogging will push others to step out of their comfort zone and try something they always swore "NEVER!" to do. (Of course, hopefully it's not something destructive).

So now, we are back in CT after our 3 surreal months in Vieques. In no time whatsoever my day became jam-packed with activities and tasks, but somehow it feels "right" in the way that the nothingness of Vieques felt "right." I suppose that's how you know you're following your bliss - and where you do it becomes irrelevant.

Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

treasures in your back yard


This is me & Randall Williams, who was at the W a week ago with a few other Food Network celebrities. (He's with Dinner: Impossible). I haven't seen the show (you know I'd rather read - or blog - or live - than watch TV) but I gather it's pretty popular. Anyway I had the gall to challenge him to a game of pool and before you know it we're tied, and I'm agreeing to a 6:30am run.

The run ended up being a walk and while we're chatting and I'm telling him about the TV show idea I've had for the last couple of years, what did he think, I see a big black bird of some sort spreading its wings and doing some dance and I go, "is that a bat???" Randall pointed out that actually it was a black bird of some sort and it was doing a mating dance, and sure enough, the female was watching it all, beak up in the air in disgust, playing hard to get. I remarked how I would never have noticed it had I been running (instead of walking), and in fact I wouldn't have thought about it at all beyond "oh, that's not a bat, it's a black bird" and kept on walking or running. However, Randall just makes you think about stuff you may have otherwise overlooked. As proof, we started talking about the terrible state of education in Vieques. I had met with a local official the previous day, who'd informed me that of the 8 schools here, 4 don't have a principal, there is no superintendent here, and certainly no substitute teachers (which I already knew). Randall said he'd stopped at a school while touring the island, and while impressed with the uniforms and the school buses, had felt something was missing. My surface analysis of the situation, he said, explained the feeling he'd had. Surprised, I asked him why he'd ventured into a school? He replied he doesn't just like to visit beaches in places like this - after all, beautiful beaches are beautiful beaches; he likes to dig below the surface and see what the average tourist doesn't bother to examine. As we talked further, specifically about the TV show idea I have, we got into talking about how often we assume we have to travel to find something interesting or fulfilling - while it may have been in front of us the whole time.

This is where I segue into our visit to Don Quique's place the previous weekend. DQ has worked at the W for a while, and when the kids and I met him last year, he had invited us to his house to "see chickens and a few other animals." He kept asking Bill now that we're back, and we kept blowing him off. Finally, the Sunday of the Masters, I obliged, if for no other reason than to give Bill some quiet time with his beer & TV. We followed DQ to his house about 5 minutes away and ended up having one of the most enjoyable, fascinating afternoons to date. DQ and his wife have managed to grow myriad fruits, vegetables, flowers, and yes, chickens, and their backyard was more interesting than any botanical garden I've been to in the US. Once we got past their 22 year old dog (yes, 22! and doesn't have eyes!) we got a detailed, loving description of how the various flora grow. When I later met Randall, I thought of DQ and this unexpectedly wonderful afternoon, and how we do indeed sit upon treasures and are usually too blind to appreciate them.

"Linda" - 22 yrs old

unripe mangos



pineapples take a year to mature!














aloe

Cashews come from this. The cashew itself here must be roasted; if you open it, it contains an acid that burns you. No wonder the nut is so expensive!


W view



Vieques Cultural Festival - Olive at her booksigning



The kids' educational center, Oasis, performed

Reciting African poetry


Dancing La Bomba, a dance inherited from African slaves














Jackie performed in a skit. She played a slaveowner.


Jackie's hanging out with her BFF, a fellow slaveowner. The slave has had a baby and Jackie tells her BFF she's welcome to have the slave's baby.









Hanging at the W





Pablo and his famous Passion (passion fruit margarita)



Gracie & her pollito



BLACK SAND BEACH



Sarah Cook, about to become a famous potter (her work is now sold at the W!!)


Hiking to Black Sand Beach (resting on a tree root)

Black Sand Beach was another unexpected gem. Sarah had suggested going there and I had no idea we were about to embark on a beautiful, interesting hike and end up in a magical place, where we'd be the only ones on the beach. The black sand was striking but I think I mostly appreciated the cliffs and the rock formations which were unlike any I'd seen on other beaches in Vieques.






A land crab trap














the girls built a volcano


starfish at Mosquito Pier

No comments:

Post a Comment