I'm a mom... but I can still be spontaneous!

After enduring a few years of, in many ways (except financial, phew!) a life of single motherhood, as Bill traveled back and forth from his Puerto Rican baby (the hotel he was building) - we decided to pick up our family and move there for the duration of the project. The decision came on Saturday - and we were to leave a week later. This blog tracked our experiences as we left our home in CT, withdrew our kids from school, left our puppy in the care of a trusted dog-lover, left the snow and the rat race and the routine... for a beautiful, rather remote island. I hoped to allow my friends & family to track our progress (or lack thereof?) as we lugged our stuff to one of the few remaining places that does not have a Starbucks, the kids and I embarked on our first ever homeschooling experience (I'd always thought homeschoolers were aliens), and I happily moved my triathlon training from the pool, trainer & dreadmill to what basically amounts to paradise. Most of all, I hoped my blogging will push others to step out of their comfort zone and try something they always swore "NEVER!" to do. (Of course, hopefully it's not something destructive).

So now, we are back in CT after our 3 surreal months in Vieques. In no time whatsoever my day became jam-packed with activities and tasks, but somehow it feels "right" in the way that the nothingness of Vieques felt "right." I suppose that's how you know you're following your bliss - and where you do it becomes irrelevant.

Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

3 parties in 1 day, no more puppies, 5 ft yellowtail sighting











Honey & her new mommy, Gillian, who has renamed her: meet Evangeline

Honey chillin at W pool


baby Paso Fino at side of road

Green Beach near sundown


snorkeling at Green Beach






this sea urchin was GINORMOUS



The rainbow I spotted (look in middle of frame) just before beginning poolside yoga


Saturday we held a little get-together with Alison & Nicholas and their 3 daughters, and Jessica & David and their son Sebastian. Jessica & David had moved to Vieques the day before, and this was the first time we'd met in person. Jessica had found me on Facebook, through a Vieques group, and we'd been corresponding for a couple of months as they tied things up back in Philadelphia, to start their new spontaneous life in Vieques. I suppose most people would be a tad apprehensive about a first personal meeting with an online friend, but I had a feeling these people were awesome - and my hunch proved correct.



Me & Jessica & little Sebastian

The best the Vieques Easter Bunny could do

This was to be our Final Big Chill - the puppies were adopted out the next day

In spite of my not being a Dog Person, this rottweiler was rather fond of me

Getting ready for the Easter Egg Hunt, at Lori & Pat's





The 2nd party on Easter Sunday - at Ji Hyun's and Jonathan's magnificent digs

From today's snorkeling adventure

Ji Huhn's and Jonathan's

Adela & her abuela, visiting from Olympia, WA

Red Beach (Caracas) on Easter Sunday - party #3 (Dagan's 1st birthday!!)

Alison

Sarah

Alison

Sarah

Birthday Boy Dagan!!




Tuesday I taught a photography workshop at Oasis Educational Center.







View of Sunset from our yard

hanging at the W


Quickie here, I'm beat. Easter was great in spite of fact that Viequense Easter Bunny has no peeps, Easter baskets or chocolate bunnies to his avail. Thank goodness Jandad put in a word during their visit.... That day we had 3 parties. An egg hunt, a bar b q, and a beach-side First Birthday Party. A tad hectic but overall, very fun. And very filling.

Tuesday I taught photography to the kids at Oasis Educational Center. Gave them a little talk, with some pointers, then we hit the streets with an assortment of digital point-&-shoots, disposable film cameras, and cell phones. The kids really got into it and I hope they continue exploring their creativity.

Today I homeschooled, using the kids I mean involving them in a project I've embarked on, and then after a game of Life we hit the road to meet Rona, her mom & baby Dagan at the newly opened Green Beach. At first we thought it'd be a letdown since by now we're totally spoiled and anything less than sublimity is unacceptable re: beaches. Green Beach is lonesome, no waves, small. But Willo and I went for a fun exploratory walk, during which we found several interesting shells & the like, and then I decided to explore the coral reefs just a few feet from the beach, in my goggles, with Willo trailing me for his first lesson in snorkeling, when suddenly a ginormous silver-colored fish crossed my path, I freaked out, but calmly told him to get the heck out of the water, and then later I figured out after an internet search it had been a yellowtail. It was about 5 ft long. We did go back in (of course), now I was on the search for this huge fish, and we found some enormous sea urchins, plus I found some empty conch shells.


No comments:

Post a Comment